THE GHOSTS IN OUR MACHINE: Connecting the Docs in Toronto & Victoria, April 23, 2014
This post published on March 15, 2014
We are thrilled to announce the third episode of our Connecting the Docs hybrid cinema series, generously supported by the Canada Media Fund.
1 documentary, 2 cities, discussion everywhere!
On Wednesday April 23rd, we coordinated two screenings and discussions of Liz Marshall’s beautiful, gentle award-winning film THE GHOSTS IN OUR MACHINE in Toronto, Victoria and online. The live post-screening discussions in each city was live streamed on our LIVE page (via Ustream), accompanied by a #ForTheGhosts Tweetchat and Facebook discussion, providing opportunities for online engagement on animal rights, no matter where you are in the world. The film was also available for streaming online, starting April 22, 2014. The goal is to connect the docs across time and space!
Read through the narrative archive of the event, via Storify.
All the event details can be found below, or on the Facebook event page.
THE GHOSTS IN OUR MACHINE – THEATRICAL TRAILER
THE GHOSTS IN OUR MACHINE
A film by Liz Marshall Featuring Jo-Anne McArthur
Produced by Nina Beveridge & Liz Marshall.
THE GHOSTS IN OUR MACHINE is a multi-award winning documentary by Liz Marshall that illuminates the lives of individual animals living within and rescued from the machine of our modern world. With the exception of our companion animals and a few wild or stray species within our environments, we experience animals daily as food, clothing, animal tested goods and entertainment, a moral dilemma that is often hidden from view. Through the heart and photographic lens of acclaimed photographer Jo-Anne McArthur, we become intimately familiar with a cast of non-human animals. The film follows Jo-Anne over the course of a year as she photographs several animal stories in parts of Canada, the U.S. and in Europe. Each story is a window into global animal industries: Food, Fashion, Entertainment and Research.
THE GHOSTS IN OUR MACHINE charts McArthur’s efforts to bring wider attention to a topic that most of humankind strives hard to avoid. Are non-human animals property to be owned and used, or are they sentient beings deserving of rights?
JOIN US LIVE or ONLINE!
The OPEN CINEMA Live page is your one stop hop to participate in the online the discussion online.
- 6.30pm ET (3.30pm PT) Toronto event starts
- 8.35pm ET (5.35pm PT) Toronto post-screening discussion livestream
- 7pm PT (10pm ET) Victoria screening starts
- 9pm PT (midnight ET) Victoria post-screening discussion livestream
Partnered with Victoria Vegan Fest & Association for the Protection of Fur-Bearing Animals
5.30pm PST DOORS (8.30pm EST)
7pm PST FILM (10pm EST)
9pm PST DISCUSSION (midnight EST)
VICTORIA EVENT CENTRE, 1415 Broad Street
Cash bar, pizza, brownies, and door prizes.
$10-20 suggested donation at the door.
POST SCREENING DISCUSSION
- Dave Shishkoff, Victoria Vegan Fest
- Lesley Fox, The Association for the Protection of Fur-Bearing Animals (APFA)
- Maneesha Deckha, UVIC Assoc. Professor, Faculty of Law.
- Moderated by Peter Sandmark, MediaNet Executive Director.
in collaboration with Raindance Toronto’s Indie Night at the Carlton
Partnered with Toronto Pig Save and Toronto Vegetarian Association.
6.15pm EST – Doors open (3pm PST)
6.30pm EST- Short Films (3.30pm PST)
7pm EST – Film (4pm PST)
8.35pm EST – Discussion (5.45pm PST)
Carlton Cinema, 20 Carlton St, Toronto
We are thrilled to be partnering with Raindance Toronto for this event! Join Raindance and Connect the Docs in the Carlton Cinema lounge before the program to share a drink. Watch a curated short program by Raindance filmmakers, a feature screening of THE GHOSTS IN OUR MACHINE, followed by a cross Canada discussion online.
POST SCREENING DISCUSSION
- LIZ MARSHALL, Filmmaker, Director & Producer The Ghosts in our Machine.
- JO-ANNE McARTHUR, Photographer, Founder of We Animals and the subject of The Ghosts in our Machine.
- ANITA KRAJNC Activist, Co-Founder of Toronto Pig Save and the Save Movement
- DAVID ALEXANDER, Executive Director Toronto Vegetarian Association
Details and advance tickets on the Raindance website.
- Stream the film on iTunes starting on April 22, 2014.
- Online engagement: 6pm-1am EST (3-10pm PST) on Twitter or Facebook
- Live streamed post-screening discussions, tune in on our LIVE page (starting times are approximate)
- TORONTO 8.30 – 9.30pm EST -(5.30 – 6.30pm PST)
- VICTORIA 9-10pm PST (midnight – 1am EST)
- FIND ALL OF THE LINKS AND DETAILS on our LIVE page.
THE VIRTUAL CONVERSATION HAS ALREADY BEGUN!
- On Twitter: #ForTheGhosts
- On Facebook: The Ghosts in Our Machine FB page will host a more in-depth discussion before, during and after the event.
- We invite you to join the conversation about animal rights issues #ForTheGhosts.
Leave a Reply