MISS REPRESENTATION Season 11 Finale & Fundraiser with Bridges for Women, May 14, 2014
This post published on March 14, 2014
We are excited to announce our Season 11 finale, a Special Fundraising event in partnership with the amazing Bridges for Women! Don’t miss this dynamic screening and discussion in celebration of women and leadership! Read below to find out about the great film, pithy discussion, fab silent auction, grand prize draw, local eats and treats and a fun photo booth. It’s going to be off the charts!
Download the media release here: OPEN CINEMA Miss Representation MediaRelease.
Like drawing back a curtain to let bright light stream in, Miss Representation uncovers a glaring reality we live with every day but fail to see. This award-winning film exposes how mainstream media contribute to the under-representation of women in positions of power and influence in North America. The film challenges the media’s limited and often disparaging portrayals of women and girls, which make it difficult for women to achieve leadership positions and for the average woman to feel powerful herself.
While women have made great strides in leadership over the past few decades, Canada is still 54th in the world for women in national legislatures (at 25%), women hold only 4% of clout positions in mainstream media and 65% of women and girls have disordered eating behaviours.
Stories from teenage girls and provocative interviews with politicians, journalists, entertainers, activists and academics, like Condoleezza Rice, Nancy Pelosi, Katie Couric, Rachel Maddow, Margaret Cho, Rosario Dawson and Gloria Steinem build momentum as Miss Representation accumulates startling facts and statistics that will leave the audience shaken and armed with a new perspective. Find out more about the film.
POST SCREENING DISCUSSION
- DENISE HELM – Manager, Media Relations & Public Affairs UVIC and former Editor of the Times Colonist
- SANDY MAYZELL – Founder, Dancing With the Octopus, women & politics.
- JANET ROGERS – Victoria’s poet laureate, radio host, media artist
- JENNY HOLDER – Program Director, Bridges for Women
- Moderated by PETER SANDMARK, MediaNet Executive Director.
Can’t join us live? Join our #MissRep Tweetchat and Facebook discussion.
We’ll be engaging online on the topic of #womensrights, #politics and #media, starting at 6pm PST.
ADMISSION by donation $20 suggested.
SILENT AUCTION & GRAND PRIZE DRAW
Donations over $20 will receive a tax receipt from Bridges for Women for 50% of the donated amount.
This is our annual fundraising event and your support for our community engagement programming is greatly appreciated (and well-needed!). Bridges for Women have created a Canada Helps page for our event, so please consider donating to support both of our organizations.
We welcome your donations to support the community building work of both OPEN CINEMA and Bridges for Women. Please DONATE HERE, and contact us for more information or to donate a silent auction item.
Here’s an incomplete list of silent auction items to whet your appetite! Please contact us to add your name to this list!
- Ballet Victoria – 2 tickets to Carmina Burana
- Victoria Jazz Society– 2 tickets to see Hiromi at Jazz Festival
- Victoria Symphony – 2 tickets to any performance
- Dance Victoria – 2 tickets to see Balletboyz
- Intrepid Theatre – 2 tickets to any Uno play
- Silpada Designs – Hailstone necklace
- Janis La Couvée – 3 doz. truffles
- Barbara Burns – “Birds of Paradise” photograph
- Blue Bridge Repertory Theatre – Tickets to Judy!
- Linda Weech – “Salmon” print
- Michael Tension – logo consult and design
- Jenny Hildebrand – felted scarf
- Janet Rogers, Victoria’s poet laureate – poetry books
- Dancing With The Octopus – book, postcards, back massager
- Share Organics – voucher for Good Food Box
- VI Fitness – 1 year membership
- Free Spirit Botanicals – gift bag
- Pacific Opera Victoria – gift voucher
- Prince of Whales whale watching – 2 tickets for whale watching
- Hemp & Company – $25 gift certificate
- New Balance – quick dry top and running shoes
- Full Circle Studio Arts – jewelry
- Simply Tea – gift bag
- Muse Apparel – woman’s dress (choice of 3)
- Nancy Murphy – artwork
- Cinecenta – 8 cinema tickets
- Melanie Lichtinger – astrology session
- Oscar and Libby – scarf and purse
- Dvora Levin – poetry workshop
- Karen Hurley – Flourless Bittersweet Chocolate Cake with French Brandy soaked Cherries (mmm!)
- Marion Evamy – abstract painting
- Theatre Skam – Bike Ride
- Il Terrazzo – gift certificates
- Carol-Lynne Michaels – speaker coaching
- …and more
- Let us know if you’d like to add your name to this list….
Get Your Photo Taken at our Photo Booth!
Much appreciation to Derek Ford Photography for donating his time and creativity and expertise to our fun-raising event!
We are honoured to partner with Bridges for Women!
Bridges for Women is a gutsy, innovative, heart-centered community agency. Our trauma-informed employment training and supportive programs inspire women affected by trauma, violence, abuse or neglect to reclaim their lives and build economic security. As the founder of the Bridging Employment Services Model, Bridges draws on its research and expertise in the impacts of abuse on employability to provide education, training and consulting to community agencies, partners, employers and governments. Find out more about Bridges for Women